“Talotics - The Art and Science of Digital Online Tactics for Business”
On this site I Share the experiences and lessons learned from Online Marketing my Small Business.
The techniques I used to incorporate social media into my marketing approach:
- to gain new consultancy clients
- sell books and ebooks
- sell online training products
- position myself as an Expert in my Niche
My Digital and Online Tactics - “Talotics”
Adopt a Pragmatic Mindset
People often stress if they are doing the right thing. So before you even read the tactics you need to know the following:
- Just start honestly
- Develop Incrementally
- Improve in small steps
- Study the output of other practitioners
- Use data to objectively measure your results
- Subjectively assess your output
- Develop systems as well as content
- You have to love the process, not just seek an outcome
- Start with the platforms you like to use
- Learn to use the platforms of your target audience
Experiments and Notes
This site is a set of experiments, notes and experiences based on Digital Online Marketing.
I’m basically describing all the tips, techniques, strategies and lessons I’ve had to learn while growing my Software Consultancy business.
I’ve had to learn how to:
- market myself
- create YouTube videos
- write and self publish books
- create online training courses
- talk at conferences
- write blogs
- market my content via social media: Twitter, Instagram, FaceBook, Linkedin
- use marketing tools
It feels as though half of my life is spent ‘marketing’ my business, and I needed a medium to document that through - and thus was born Talotics.
It will evolve, as do we all.
I’m creating this list of changes so that you can see how I have incrementally built up the site and see how it evolved over time. I didn’t start with a ‘finished’ product. This web site evolves over time (hopefully improving).
Content uploads are not tracked here.
- 20180103 - amended CSS to cut down size of the hero header and center the background image
- 20171119 - added htaccess redirection for alias digitalonlinetactics.com to talotics.com
- 20171119 - added Let’s Encrypt certificate to use https (learn more)
- 20171115 - created a custom 404 page with associated
- 20171111 - added sumome ‘share’ links to the bottom of each post, added a bottom email sign up float via sumo (only on posts), added a contact us from sumo and share to tools.
- 20171108 - added “Read More…” to the front page list and article summary pages, make front page links look like links
- 20171108 - amended the Hugo rss template to generate a full content feed
layouts/_default/rss.xml and set rss limit to 15 entries in the
- 20171107 - added a mailchimp sign up in the footer
- 20171107 - made the ‘other articles’ side bar a display/summary using HTML5
- 20171107 - added a contact form using Google Docs
- 20171106 - change front page: move ‘mindset’ summary to About, this lifts content to higher in the page, show more content on front page, changed image on front page to be the logo since this didn’t exist when I started. Then moved logo into top left corner and re-instated previous hero image. Changed the front page description and copy. Removed text title, added as alt to the logo. Added display of images to the Articles page
- 20171106 - added aliases to all posts to make linking easier
- 20170816 - added images to reuse across posts
- 20170813 - added rss feed icon
- 20170813 - uploaded sitemap.xml to Google WebMaster Tools
- 20170813 - added site to Google WebMaster Tools (verified by html page upload)
- 20170813 - added Google Analytics to site pages
- 20170812 - migrated to HuGo version 0.26 with template Ananke and started creating content
- 20170711 - initial php single page ‘marker site’ created