You can pretty much move from any piece of content to any other piece of content.
Longer content (e.g. presentations, talks, ebooks, blog posts) are converted to smaller pieces of summary or promotional content.
Shorter content can be collated into longer form content.
Content types to consider:
- blog post
- social media post (tweet, instagram, facebook, linkedin)
Use graphics as much as possible for all content, this makes it easy to repurpose and collate.
The key is to identify tools which can help you move easily between formats. I tend to write in Markdown which makes it easy to create ebooks (Pandoc), blog posts (convert to html with dillinger.io), presentations (Marp, DeckSet). Because my content is text it is simple to copy and paste out quotes for social media posting.
The key is to develop skills of:
- Image creation
- Cross Referencing
I’ve also experimented with MissingLettr.com which monitors new blog posts and prompts me to create a ‘drip feed’ series of summary social media posts which promote the blog post.
Make sure you either use images you created or downloaded from a reputable image licensing source.
- Convert material into a presentation deck
- e.g. blog post into presentation
- e.g. series of instagram posts or tweets into presentation
- upload presentation pdf to slideshare, speakerdeck
- Convert ‘talk’ into content
- if you do a conference talk then you can have
- blog post describing the talk at the conference, pulling in social media mentions etc.
- split the talk into a series of smaller blog posts
- upload the talk presentation to presentation
- create smaller presentations that are split into smaller points
- split the talk into smaller tweets and instagram - link to the blog posts or presentations
- convert material into an infographic
- e.g. using a tool like visme
- you can split a blog or talk into points for an infographic
- you can split an infographic into a presentation
- you may need to create new image elements to support the infographic
- presentation to video (vice versa)
- the great thing about a presentation is that on slideshare you can ‘embed’ a youtube video
- for every presentation, even if you create 1 minute video for the presentation you have doubled up the medium for the content
- Convert to an ‘ebook’
- a series of talks or videos can be transcribed and collated into an ebook
- a series of blogs can be collated and edited into an ebook
- ebook should be promoted by pulling out points into tweets/instagram and social media posts
- ‘Anything’ to social media post
- video - convert thumbnails to social media graphics to promote
- ebook - pull out qoutes and add images to promote
- blog posts - create an image to promote (also add the image to the blog post itself)