Today I noticed a minor thing that would improve the URL that a peer was using in their online copy.
I suggested using Camel Case for their URL. And then I realised that I wasn’t taking my own advice. So I can show you what I did to fix it.
In most of my emails and when I write the URLS for some of my consultancy sites, I use camel case.
Camel Case is where we write an UpperCaseLetterToSeparateTheWords to make it more readable.
eviltester.com would become
javafortesters.com would become
I think the second is ever so slightly more readable and memorable. It is also easier to see the words in a longish URL, making it easier to pronounce.
And then I had a look at my Twitter profile. And I wasn’t taking my own advice:
So I fixed it:
Test Your URLs
It is very important that you actually type the uppercase’d urls into your browser and make sure that they do work.
URLs can be case sensitive so it is important that you make sure they work.
I think this makes them much more readable. And remember you can do this in the path section of the url as well, it doesn’t need to be limited to the domain.
And now, I’m off to fix it on my other profiles as well.